Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum (NASM) Center for Earth & Planetary Studies (CEPS), Intern Summer 2016, Smithsonian Institution
- Title of the project: Mapping landforms on Mars to help understand the geologic/geomorphic history of the planet. Mentor: Dr. John Grant
- Presented (oral presentation) findings of the project at the National Air and Space Museum intern presentations 2016. Title: Hale Distal deposits give clues to late water and geomorphic activity on Mars.
Press Coverage: National Air and Space Museum (NASM) News Now
Undergraduate Summer Research Program Fellowship Award 2015, SUNY Buffalo State
- Title of the project: Geomorphic Mapping in the Southern Margaritifer Terra Region, Mars. Mentor: Dr. Kevin. K. Williams
- Wrote a grant to support eight weeks of full-time research and received funding for travel, supplies, and equipment to support the project.
- Used JMARS software to create a geomorphic map of the Southern Margaritifer Terra Region Mars using HrSC, CTX, THEMIS (IR), THEMIS visible, HiRISE, and MOLA instruments.
- Presented (poster presentation) findings of the project at the Geological Society of America (GSA) 2015 National conference in Baltimore, Maryland. Title: Geomorphic Mapping of Crater Floor Deposits in Southern Margaritifer Terra, Region Mars.
- Interviewed for a college website article about Mars research project and presentation at Geological Society of America (GSA) 2015 National conference.
Press Coverage: SUNY College at Buffalo (news and events)
- Applied and received a travel award through Office of Undergraduate Research at SUNY Buffalo State to attend the (GSA) 2015 National conference in Maryland (partial funding).
- Wrote and received a travel grant through GSA’s OTF program to attend (GSA) 2015 National conference (partial funding).
- Presented (oral presentation) findings of the project at the SUNY Buffalo State 18th Annual Student Research and Creativity Celebration (SRCC) 2016. Title: Geomorphic Mapping of the Southern Margaritifer Terra Region of Mars Reveals Possible Crater Lake.
Planetary Geology, Independent Study Research, Spring 2015, SUNY Buffalo State
- Title of the project: Conomara Chaos Europa Mapping. Mentor: Kevin. K. Williams.
- presented (poster presentation) findings at the SUNY Buffalo State 17th annual Student Research and Creativity Celebration 2015. Title: Using Arctic Ice Thickness and Floe Size to Estimate Ice Thickness in the Conamara Chaos Region of Europa.
SAT Teacher List, Teacher/Tutor, Spring 2018 to present, United States – Sri Lanka Fulbright Commission
- Approved teacher for SAT 1 (Mathematics), SAT 2 (Mathematics Level 1/2 and Physics) and TOEFL/IELTS.
Academic Center for Excellence (ACE), Academic mentor, Fall 2015 to Spring 2016, SUNY Buffalo State
- Worked with university students individually and tutored Calculus based University Physics, Geoscience, Calculus lab and Engineering Technology.
Science Technology Entry Program (STEP), Math mentor, Summer 2014, SUNY Buffalo State
- Tutored 7th and 8th graders individually, using computer based math.
- Encouraged underrepresented and underserved students to complete high school courses in science, mathematics and technology and to pursue programs of post-secondary education leading to degrees in STEM.
Earth Science Field Expert, Summer 2014, Tapestry High Charter School, Buffalo, NY
- Lead a tour for students to Devil’s Hole State park and Goat Island Niagara Falls, NY, teaching local geology.
Education and Outreach Experience
Global Mars Educational/Outreach project, Founder/Planetary Scientist, Fall 2016 to present, Global
- Created a Planetary Science-Passion based curriculum to diffuse knowledge and lessen the cycle of poverty in underserved communities in the world.
- The Pilot Project 1 (PP1) took place in summer, 2017 and the curriculum was approved by a government girls’ school in Matara, Sri Lanka.
- PP1 collaborator: Sophia Deady (Smith College/Fulbright Fellow 2016).
- Conducted a three day science program for local English medium 7th grade students and engaged in teaching/mentoring the students.
- A statistically valid study was conducted to establish the programs long term and short term efficiency.
- Received a donation that covered educational supplies for the entire program.
- Published abstract: Senarath Dassanayake H. C. (2018) Global Mars: The Martian Outreach Project in Sri Lanka. 49th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference (LPSC) #1529
Press Coverage: Roar Media (Sri Lanka)
Media and Public Outreach
- Video: International Education Week US Alumni video montage, US Embassy Colombo and United States- Sri Lanka Fulbright Commission, Fall 2016
- Museum Outreach: Smithsonian NASM Mars (and Space) Day, All Night at the Museum, Summer 2016
Volunteer and Service-Learning Center, Volunteer, Summer 2013 and Spring 2013, SUNY Buffalo State
- Completed 80 hours of service at Appalachian Trail at Bear Mountain Trails project New York – New Jersey Trail Conference and Hurricane Sandy disaster relief for New York Cares.
International Student Organization (ISO), Volunteer, Spring 2016, SUNY Buffalo State
- Completed 20 hours of volunteer work with programming duties of the Spring 2016 Cultural Fiesta.
New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG), Member of the Environmental campaign Spring 2015, SUNY Buffalo State
- Worked with a diverse coalition of groups including Buffalo State sustainability council to fight for environmental justice on/off campus and received a scholarship to attend the spring 2015 Student Action Conference.
International Orientation Leader, SUNY Buffalo State Leader/Mentor for 2 years, Fall 2014 and Fall 2015
Physics Club, Wilderness Adventure Club and International Student Organization Member Fall 2013 to Spring 2016; Geology Club and Astronomy Club Member Fall 2014 to Spring 2016
- Certificate of Completion University Police Student Assistant (UPSA) Program: SUNY Buffalo Sate
- Certificate of Outstanding Leadership: SUNY Buffalo State
- Certificate of participation “Youth is the word-Guinness world record attempt” largest human mosaic: British Council Global Change makers
Recent Professional Affiliations
- The Geological Society of America (GSA): Planetary Geology Division
- American Institute of Professional Geologists (AIPG)
- Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists (AEG)
- Computer: Mathematica, C++, JMARS/GIS (Java Mission-planning and Analysis for Remote Sensing/ geospatial information system), Logger pro, stereo 32, Google Earth Pro, Microsoft Office.
- Language: Fluent in English and Sinhala (oral and written).
- Other: Brunton compass.